Sunday, August 24, 2008

Howdy folks, as I said, I will give an overall opinion of my Alaska trip. In a nut shell, I was disappointed. Maybe my expectations were to high. They were based on watching a lot of TV programs, reading a lot of books, looking up info. on the internet, and talking to a lot of people that had been there. Of course everyone's perspective is different. I was looking forward to it to being the photo opportunity of my life. Had the weather been better, it may have been. Out of two months, from the middle of June to the middle of August, the Sun was shining maybe 20% of that time. The rest was cold, very heavy low hanging clouds, and wet. The local people was saying it is the coldest, wettest summer they can ever remember. Not good for photography. There were very few animals out, I expected a lot more, maybe because of the weather. I saw more coming down through the Canadian Rockies than the whole rest of the trip. I only saw three perched Eagles, and maybe 6 or 8 in flight. Other than the Eagles, Gulls, and Ravens, it was rare to see any birds at all. The lack of birds were very noticeable. The roads were, to me, were horrible for the most part. When driving it required all my attention to be focused on the road so as not to tear up, or break, my vehicles. Some were ok, but most were not. Diesel fuel, food, and everything was very expensive. All this also applies to Canada. Ok, enough of the negative. The area that was the prettiest to me was the southern part, down around the coast. That is where the snow covered mountains were, which along with the water created the beautiful views. In my opinion, the area going to Homer was the best. There were also beautiful scenes south of Anchorage to Seward, Valdez, and Glen Allen. That is where I got most of my good photos. I would love to see this area with the sun shining on it. Denalli may be a beautiful park with clear weather. Of the ten days I was there, I may have seen the sun all of two hours total. No good photos at all. One last comment, Chicken is a total waste of time and effort. On the bright side, it was an experience that I would have always wondered about had I not done it. Given the time it takes to drive, the road conditions, and the cost, I will not do it again. From the southern Canadian border and back, 8,000 miles. If I ever go back it will be by boat. To other people that want to go, don't let me discourage you. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Your views, expectations, and experiences will be different to mine. >>>>>LATER<<<<<

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ty and I also went to Alaska and we kinda feel the same way! Love your Blog.
Brenda

pidge said...

I've been trying to reconnect with Digby McLean for several years now. If you can would you let him now that Art Pigeon would love to hear from him. He an reach me at: donarth2002@yahoo.ca

Thx